Khabib Nurmagomedov and Justin Gaethje were lined up to fight at UC 253 on Sept. 19, 2020 for the Lightweight title.
But after Khabib’s father passed away a few weeks ago, his return to action is now questionable.
Since both Khabib and Gethje are both represented by the same manager, “The Eagle” recently gave Geathje the opportunity to seek a big-money fight against Conor McGregor instead of waiting.
But according to Ali Abdelaziz, Justin turned it down.
“Justin said no. Khabib told me to tell Justin to go fight Conor. Justin said no,” revealed Abdelaziz in a recent interview with TMZ Sports. “Conor, right now, he can be a backup fighter, he can go make weight and maybe he can make some money. Conor, he can go fight Nate, fight Masvidal. We’re not interested in fighting him.”
It’s understandable in many ways.
Gaethje already has his title shot secured, so if he loses to Conor, that goes up in smoke, so you can’t blame him for not taking that dangerous risk.
McGregor announced his retirement earlier this year, but it’s safe to say he’d return if he had the chance to fight for the 155-pound title.
And that just may happen, as some reports say that it will be a while before Khabib returns to action while he mourns the death of his father.
And if the promotion opts to book an interim title fight, McGregor and Geathje could be the frontrunners for it.
Please follow Mystic Mac on Instagram HERE
Also follow Mystic Mac on Facebook HERE