We all know Mike Tyson – the great American boxing icon. He competed in boxing from 1985 to 2005. He went into boxing quite early and even then, he packed a lot of punch. Tyson was the undisputed world heavyweight champion for a long time. He even holds the record of being the youngest boxer who won the heavyweight title for over 20 years.
In the world of boxing, Mike Tyson remains a prodigy. Many boxing fans and recent boxers look up to him and try to be like him. Even if you are not a boxing fan and have never watched a boxing match in your life, chances are that you have heard about Mike Tyson. That’s how special he is. After his retirement, he has even made special appearances in movies like the Hangover, sometimes as the very Mike Tyson himself!
He is truly an inspiration and if you look at his words, you will feel more inspired as well. Here are some powerful quotes of the boxing hero:
1. “Whatever you want, especially when you’re striving to be the best in the world at something, there’ll always be disappointments, and you can’t be emotionally tied to them, because they’ll break your spirit.”
2. “The boxing’s the easy part. When you get into the ring to fight, that’s the vacation. But when you get in the gym, you have to do things over and over till you’re sore and deep in your mind you say, ‘I don’t want to do this anymore,’ I push that out of my mind.”
3. “Everyone says I wish I was in your shoes, the hundreds of people that wish they were in my shoes don’t know the tenth of it. If they were in my shoes they would cry like a baby.”
4. “We wanna believe that we’re different than the average guy that’s working 9-to-5, that our thoughts are different than his. Our inspirations and desires are different than his, that’s why we succeed and he didn’t cos we wanna believe we’re different, but he just didn’t get the break that we had or he wasted it on something else.”
5. “It’s good to know how to read, but it’s dangerous to know how to read and not how to interpret what you’re reading.”
6. “Confidence breeds success and success breeds confidence. Confidence applied properly surpasses genius.”
7. “When you have something in life that you want to accomplish greatly you have to be willing to give up your happiness. I’ve lost all my sensitivity as far as being embarrassed, being shy, you just have to lose that.”
8. “I’m a dreamer. I have to dream and reach for the stars, and if I miss a star then I grab a handful of clouds.”
9. “A man who was friendly with everyone was an enemy to himself.”
10. “Sometimes I’d give my mother a hundred bucks and she wouldn’t pay me back. She didn’t respect me like that. I’d say, “You owe me some money, Ma. And she’d just say, You owe me your life, boy. I’m not paying you back.”
11. “Discipline is doing what you hate to do but doing it like you love it.”
12. “Everybody thinks this is a tough man’s sport. This is not a tough man’s sport. This is a thinking man’s sport. A tough man is gonna get hurt real bad in this sport.”
13. “The ability to apply the discipline, the ability to do what needs to be done no matter how he feels inside, in my opinion, is the definition of a true professional.”
14. “Unfortunately, sometimes you can’t have fun accomplishing your goals. Sometimes people don’t have the determination, the will, the steadfastness, the tenacity, they give in under the slightest struggle.”
15. “You can’t be disturbed by anything. There’s no emotion involved. You can’t feel sorrow, you can’t feel pity, there’s nothing you feel. The job has to be done.”
We hope these quotes can inspire you to get out and live your life – like a boxing champ!